|Our second Church - 1887|
Look inside, see 300 people.
By 1886, the membership had grown to this number and the tiny rectangular building was no longer adequate. During the pastorate of our 4th minister, Rev. John H. Stepler, plans were made to erect a larger ediface on the site of the original building.
In 1887, the cornerstone was laid and construction proceeded at a rapid pace. Many prominent citizens of Lima and organizations not affiliated with the Church also contributed to the cost of the project which was $14,000.
It was a splendid example of Gothic architecture, with a majestic steeple 135 ft. in height, including a tower with a great resounding bell.
The new Church was formally dedicated on January 8, 1888, with services conducted in both German and English. Our founder Rev. Peter Greding and several other visiting Pastors officiated programs and services on that day.
For many decades the tall spire of our Church stood as a landmark in downtown Lima, OH.
Unfortunately on August 25, 1936, a severe windstorm damaged the lofty steeple and it was removed. Thankfully, the great bell was spared and still summons Christians to service with its glorious resonance.
Although the structure has been transformed and renovated throughout the years, our Church people maintain the fundamental Faith in Jesus Christ our risen Savior.